Ashington AFC




Sat 26 Nov 2016 | Ebac Northern League Division One | Home


Woodhorn Lane




Lindsey Robinson



By Brian Bennett


A goal quarter of an hour from time by debutant Jonathan Tiffoney gained Ashington a well earned point against an in-form Consett side who arrived at Woodhorn Lane on Saturday unbeaten in their last eight matches. Tiffoney – signed from West Auckland – made an eye catching first appearance and certainly had an action packed 90 minutes. After being involved in the incident shrouded in controversy from which the visitors took the lead during the first half, the newcomer was in the right place at the right time to slot home a richly deserved equaliser. The opening 20 minutes produced minimum action in either goalmouth. An early free kick by Paul Antony found Dan O’Reilly down the left flank but after beating a defender, his cross was intercepted by goalkeeper Gareth Young. On the quarter hour, Matthew Slocombe played the ball through to Michael Sweet whose effort was palmed out by home stopper Conor Grant then two shots from Luke Sullivan were blocked whilst Tiffoney made a vital headed clearance. In the 24th minute, a long ball played over the top of the Consett defence by Ben Christensen released David Dormand but the striker snatched at the clear opening and lashed a half volley over the bar from 20 yards. Three minutes later, Consett broke the deadlock. Tiffoney appeared to be fouled in the area by Jordan Nellis and as the pair tumbled to the ground, the ball struck the former’s hand. The assistant flagged and after referee Lindsey Robinson had consulted with him, a penalty was awarded. To rub salt into the wound, Tiffoney was yellow carded before Grant got his fingertips to Sullivan’s spot kick but could not prevent the ball from creeping inside the corner. With half time approaching, Slocombe fired over whilst at the other end, Antony’s through ball for Ben Harmison was just over hit with Young reaching it first. Without doubt, the action intensified after the break. Shortly after the restart, a shot by Consett skipper Danny Craggs was pushed out by Grant with Sweet slamming the rebound over. Then Dormand flicked on for McAndrew who looked a certain scorer until Jordan Lavery got across to make a timely interception. Tiffoney blocked from Sweet then the Consett striker had an effort parried out by Grant with the ball falling to sub Josh Gray who fired over. Play continued to move from end to end and after Dormand had blasted over from the edge of the area, Sampson missed a gilt edged chance from six yards clipping the ball wide following a cross from McAndrew. But in the 75th minute, Ashington drew level. Substitute Andrew Bulford’s through pass saw Tiffoney challenge Young and when the ‘keeper spilled the ball, Tiffoney had the simple task of side footing into the empty net. Both sides pressed for a winner and after Clark Kay had narrowly sliced over his own bar, Bulford was off target from an Antony corner on the right. Grant pushed out from Gray then in the second minute of time added on, James Harmison cleared from almost on the goal line and from the resultant corner on the left, Gray’s effort drifted over the bar. *On Saturday (December 3), Ashington are away to West Auckland (3pm) then Penrith are the visitors to Woodhorn Lane on Tuesday (December 6) to contest the game which was abandoned in early September following an horrific injury to Colliers striker Damien Stevens.


Ashington: Grant, Henderson, Tiffoney, Antony, J Harmison, Christensen, Sampson, O’Reilly (Bulford 64 minutes), Dormand (Simpson 85 minutes), B Harmison, McAndrew (R Bell 80 minutes). Subs not used: Armstrong, Glasper (gk).


Back to Fixtures