Bishop Auckland



Ashington AFC

Tue 3 Jan 2017 | Ebac Northern League Division One | Away


Heritage Park




Michael Gilespie



By Brian Bennett

Ashington were dealt a late body blow as Bishop Auckland substitute Jonathan Wright scored a stoppage time winner for his side in this Ebac Northern League first division contest at a bitterly cold and windy Heritage Park on Tuesday night. Wright had only been introduced in the 85th minute but in the second minute of time added on, he came up with the goods, side footing home from 12 yards after the ball had been played through from the left. It was indeed harsh on an Ashington side who had been forced to dig deep throughout the clash and who certainly rode their luck particularly in the first period when the home side were guilty of squandering a plethora of golden opportunities. Thirty seconds after Ben Sampson had driven over the home crossbar from distance, the usually prolific Andrew Johnson fluffed his lines lobbing over as ‘keeper Conor Grant advanced. However in the 12th minute, Andrew Bulford was left shaking his head is disbelief. Paul Antony’s free kick was glanced on to Bulford and the striker’s flick was goalbound until the ball deviated at the last second and rolled millimetres wide of the post. Similarly just how Ashington survived a goalmouth melee in the 19th minute is beyond comprehension. The home side forced successive corners on the right and from the second, the ball bobbled about in the six yards line and was cleared off the line. Michael Hoganson went close with a rasping effort from 30 yards then Priestley Griffiths headed a free-kick from Hoganson back across goal but Johnson again missed the target. It appeared to be only a matter of time before Bishops would break through as the Ashington goal led a charmed life and in the 26th minute, Johnson latched onto a glorious threaded pass from Samuel Orritt to push the ball past Grant but James Harmison cleared from the danger zone. Johnson fired wide of the far post and in the final minute of the half, Grant was called into action saving from the pacy Ryu Williamson. Eleven minutes after the break, Ashington thought they had found a way through the home defence. Antony won a tackle to find David Dormand who in turn sent Dan O’Reilly through the inside left channel but Alex Francis made a superb tackle to thwart him. The advancing Grant then came out and did enough to knock Orritt off his stride with the midfielder skying the ball over before the Colliers had a fortunate escape midway through the period. They allowed Francis a free header at the far post which he placed wide following an in-swinging corner on the right by Hoganson. Five minutes from time, Grant saved with his feet to deny sub James Fairley and a goalless draw seemed the likely outcome – until the visiting ‘keeper was finally beaten with Wright’s goal wrapping up victory for the Two Blues.


Ashington: Grant, Tiffoney (Christensen 46 minutes), Salmon, Antony, J Harmison, Buchanan, Sampson, S Bell, Bulford (Canham 46 minutes), Dormand (R Bell 81 minutes), O’Reilly. Sub not used: Hall (gk)


Back to Fixtures