Seaham Red Star



Ashington AFC

Sat 1 Apr 2017 | Ebac Northern League Division One | Away


Ferguson Motor Repairs Stadium


Michael Gillespie



By Brian Bennett

Ashington registered their first win in seven games with a richly deserved result over Seaham Red Star on Saturday. Several factors contributed to the Colliers bringing back all three points but an outstanding whole hearted and energetic performance was the key ingredient. It was a welcome victory – yet Steve Harmison’s side still had to do things the hard way as the home side got back on terms only five minutes after Ben Harmison had nudged Ashington in front. But two goals at the start of the second period from Dale Pearson and Andrew Bulford put them firmly in control with substitute Kyle Downey completing the scoring near the end from the penalty spot. As in previous games, the Wansbeck side started brightly and they could have been ahead as early as the seventh minute. Pearson made inroads down the left and when he found Ben Harmison, the striker looked a certain scorer until his half volley was blocked by a defender. The rebound fell to Ryan McGorrigan whose goalbound effort was pushed away by home ‘keeper Shaun Newbrook diving to his right. McGorrigan had a first timer held by the stopper who worked overtime to keep the scoreline blank and in the 11th minute, dived full stretch to his right to palm around a 25 yards free-kick from Paul Antony. Seaham’s first effort came on the quarter hour with ‘keeper Conor Grant beating out a free kick from distance by Luke Proctor with Nicky Kane lashing over the rebound. Ashington remained in the ascendancy with the outstanding Newbrook pushing around another restart by Antony before the midfielder pick pocketed a defender but saw his audacious lob from 25 yards go over. Ashington broke the deadlock on the half hour with Harmison notching his 15th goal of the season. Skipper Ben Christensen’s superb pass over the top sent McGorrigan scampering away down the right and when he crossed, Bulford appeared to be fouled inside the area but the ball fell for Harmison who coolly slotted home. However, shortly afterwards, the Star got back on terms when Robbie Bird found Proctor and the striker lashed the ball into the roof of the net. A harmless through pass then caused problems for the visiting defence as Jonathan Tiffoney and Grant both attempted to clear as Bird homed in. Grant fouled the Seaham man just outside the area and was yellow carded but the free kick came to nothing. On the stroke of half time, Bulford netted but the score was ruled out for a foul by Ben Harmison on Newbrook then the ‘keeper saved from Antony. Ashington were quick out of the traps at the start of the second period and scored twice in three minutes to take a stranglehold on proceedings. Newbrook had already been called into action to save from McGorrigan then in the 47th minute, Ryan Bell found Bulford down the right and when he crossed low into the danger zone, Pearson side footed high into the net. Ashington’s third came when Ben Harmison flicked on an Antony free kick which Bulford controlled superbly well before drilling home from the corner of the six yards box. And the tally could have been more as McGorrigan twice went close and Ben Sampson shaved the bar after substitute Kyle Downey had dummied a cross from Pearson. Seaham sub Lee Hetherington went close after being set up by Proctor but in the 89th minute, Luke Salmon who had replaced Bulford, went through and his shot was palmed away by Newbrook. However Salmon was also impeded in the area by Liam Hodgson and referee Michael Gillespie awarded a penalty. The match official brandished a red card to Hodgson before Downey stepped forward and slotted home from the spot. 

Ashington: Grant, Tiffoney, Christensen, Antony, R Bell (J Harmison 78 minutes), Buchanan, Sampson, McGorrigan (Downey 65 minutes), Bulford (Salmon 83 minutes), B Harmison, Pearson. Subs not used: McAndrew, Henderson


Back to Fixtures