Seaham Red Star



Ashington AFC

Sat 18 Nov 2017 | Ebac Northern League Division One | Away


Seaham Town Park




Helen Conley



By Brian Bennett

A makeshift Ashington side stretched their run in the league to three games unbeaten after Tony Stephenson’s penalty early in the second half earned them a well deserved point against Seaham on Saturday.

Woodhorn Lane player/manager Steve Bowey had to reckon without three defenders – skipper Craig Scott, Wayne Buchanan and Luke Salmon – who were all suspended and after going a goal behind then watching on as Damien Stevens was carried off after quarter of an hour with what turned out to be ligament damage to his ankle, the boss must have had thoughts that things could only get better.

And that’s exactly what transpired as a Colliers outfit which contained several star performers on the day including newly signed Tom White on a month’s loan from Gateshead got back on terms.

On a bitterly cold afternoon along the coast, both sides began cautiously until the first chance was carved out with Shaun Henderson not far away with a 20 yarder. However in the eighth minute, Seaham’s Dylan McGlade timed his run to perfection latching onto a precision through pass to go through, side step advancing ‘keeper Conor Grant and roll the ball into the empty net to give his side the lead.

Ashington went in search of an equaliser but the closest they came was after link up play involving David Edwards, Shaun Henderson and Dale Pearson with Callum Johnston firing over.

On the half hour, McGlade had an opportunity to double the lead but chipped just wide then Edwards played the ball in for substitute Tony Stephenson who went to ground inside the area under challenge from home ‘keeper Jordan Harkess but much to the surprise of the visitors and their travelling contingent who were looking for the award of a penalty, play continued.

Shortly before the interval, Bailey Prudhoe was clean through for the home side with a one on one opportunity but saw his effort brilliantly parried by Grant. Early in the second period, Johnston headed narrowly wide from a cross by Lee McAndrew before White’s clever turn inside the box saw him upended by Aaron Croft.

Referee Helen Conley pointed to the spot and Stephenson made no mistake, sending Harkess the wrong way. For the next 20 minutes, it was all Ashington pressure but the home side’s defence was well marshalled by Kieran Galbraith and David Scorer. The Star eventually hit back and after McGlade had struck the bar with a 20 yarder, Thomas Price went close.

On 73 minutes, Harkess fumbled a corner on the right from Stephenson but the ball was cleared off the line by Galbraith. Then in the final minute of the 90, skipper Ben Christensen came to his sides rescue producing some excellent defending to deny Prudhoe who was through.

Ashington: Grant, McAndrew, Hornsby, Henderson, Christensen, R Bell (Bowey 72 minutes), Stevens (Stephenson 14 minutes), White (Williamson 89 minutes), Pearson, Edwards, Johnston.

Subs not used: Lancaster, Glasper (gk).


Back to Fixtures