Jarrow Roofing BCA



Ashington AFC

Sat 24 Mar 2018 | Ebac Northern League Division One | Away


Boldon Colliery




Helen Conley



By Brian Bennett

A dire performance by Ashington culminated in a defeat against Jarrow Roofing at the Boldon CA Sports Ground on Saturday. Woodhorn Lane supporters had to endure a painful afternoon which was endorsed by the fact that it took until the last minute of the 90 for Damien Stevens to register their first shot of the game with an audacious effort from the right which drifted wide of the far post.

The Roofing – third bottom of the Ebac Northern League first division table – certainly showed far more intent throughout and deservedly took all three points to give themselves a chance of moving out of the drop zone. The match itself was poor in quality – but the undoubted mystery was a disjointed display from the Wansbeck outfit who had not only gone into the contest protecting a four match unbeaten run but had also played superbly well in the second half to topple Sunderland RCA by a 3-1 score line only four days earlier.

Jarrow forced the pace from the start but it was the quarter hour mark before they threatened when former Collier Paul Gardiner burst through from midfield and saw his shot blocked by ‘keeper Conor Grant. Liam Anderson and Dennis Knight fired efforts over before Roofing got their noses in front on the half hour from the penalty spot. Anderson - who was a constant menace to the visiting back four - escaped the attentions of Wayne Buchanan who clipped him in the area and referee Helen Conley pointed to the spot. Knight stepped forward and gave Grant no chance, side footing home to the stopper’s right.

Minutes later, Andrew Cartwright and Dale Pearson linked but a move which had initially looked promising fizzled out. Gardiner then slotted the ball through for Anderson who had a good opening but drove wide. In the closing minutes of the half, Roofing had two penalty shouts turned aside after challenges on Knight and John Campbell and early in the second half, the former was not far away with a 20 yards restart.

On the hour, the home side were furious when they thought Anderson was fouled inside the area but the referee – after consulting with her assistant – gave a free kick inches outside which Grant held from Knight. Shortly afterwards, the custodian kept his side in the game tipping around an effort from Campbell but on the 70 minutes mark, Knight doubled his sides lead after cutting in from the right and firing low which left Grant stranded.

Ashington repeatedly gave the ball away and Roofing could have added to their tally when former Whitley Bay schemer Lee Kerr slotted the ball through to Knight who missed out on an opportunity to complete his hat-trick as he shot wide.

Ashington: Grant, Christensen (L Scott 53 minutes), Salmon, Henderson (Stephenson 71 minutes), C Scott, Buchanan, McAndrew (Turnbull 59 minutes), Downey, Stevens, Cartwright, Pearson

Subs not used: R Bell, Hornsby.


Back to Fixtures