Guisborough Town



Ashington AFC

Sat 11 Nov 2017 | Ebac Northern League Division One | Away


KGV Stadium




Graeme Hopper



By Brian Bennett

A ten-man Ashington side battled brilliantly to deservedly take a share of the spoils from their trip to face Guisborough at the KGV Stadium on Saturday.

The Colliers – reduced in number after the sending off on the hour mark of defender Luke Salmon – had taken the lead through substitute Dale Pearson but despite defending stoically, the Colliers conceded with six minutes of normal time remaining when Brian Close levelled the scores with a superb header. However on a cold afternoon on Teeside, the temperature certainly rose both on and off the pitch and unfortunately boiled over on a couple of occasions during the second period.

In the final analysis, the Wansbeck side will be happy at securing a point – but they could have had the game effectively wrapped up by the interval and paid the penalty after failing to convert guilt edged chances. Early doors, neat skill by Ben Sampson led to a shooting opportunity which the youngster had blocked then a right footer from Callum Johnston took a deflection to go for a corner.

Kyle Downey and Tony Stephenson then played a one-two with the former’s left foot effort curling just wide. Guisborough’s first real threat came in the 20th minute when a goalbound drive from Nathan Steel was blocked then Mark Robinson found Joe Ferguson who lashed over the bar from distance. Back came the Colliers and after great work on the by line from Damien Stevens, Johnston volleyed inches over before Sampson went close following a header played into his path by Wayne Buchanan.

The Colliers knocked on the door again with Johnston and Downey both thwarted then in the 34th minute, amazingly the visitors were not awarded a penalty when a high boot from a home player inside the area caught skipper Craig Scott in the face.

Five minutes before half time, another golden opportunity went begging. Salmon got the benefit of a ricochet to advance into the area. He found Stephenson who laid the ball off for Stevens but he fired over from six yards. Early in the second half, Lewis Maloney was not far away with a free kick from 22 yards then came the sending off of Salmon for a challenge on Steve Roberts. Ten minutes later, the Colliers edged in front after great work by Sampson.

The youngster played the ball to Stevens who in turn found Pearson. He advanced before striking a superb left foot shot from 22 yards wide of ‘keeper Jordan Nixon. The lead could have been doubled when after a run by Downey, Stevens had an effort fisted out by Nixon.

Then in the 84th minute, Close timed his run to perfection to meet a pinpoint cross from the left by Louis Goldsack and his header gave Conor Grant no chance. Incredibly straight from the kick-off Ashington had another opportunity through Stevens but Nixon saved with his legs to thwart him.

Before the game, players, officials and supporters observed an impeccable minutes silence for armistice day.

Ashington: Grant, Christensen, Salmon, Henderson, Buchanan, Scott, Johnston (Hornsby 61 minutes), Sampson, Stephenson (Pearson 64 minutes), Downey, Stevens (McAndrew 90 + 2 minutes).

Subs not used: Bowey, Harmison.


Back to Fixtures