Sunderland RCA



Ashington AFC

Sat 19 Aug 2017 | FA Cup | Away


Meadow Park




Elliott Heward



By Brian Bennett

Ashington spiralled out of this seasons FA Cup on Saturday after being on the receiving end of a four goal hiding from Sunderland Ryhope CA at Meadow Park.

The Colliers – who went into the clash unbeaten from their first four matches of the campaign – can have no complaints either after a totally inept performance. Already trailing at the interval, goals from Stephen Callen and Dylan Elliott by the midway point of the second period effectively wrapped the game up before Callen got his second with 20 minutes remaining. And the defeat could have been much heavier had Colliers ‘keeper Conor Grant not been in outstanding form which earned him the ‘Man of the Match’ award. Home officials said later that they ‘hadn’t seen such a score line coming’ – neither had the near 100 spectators who witnessed what was a yawn in the opening half. After eight minutes, Adam McGuinness fed the ball through for Michael Charlton who was foiled by Grant, diving bravely at his feet then play immediately switched to the other end and from Grant’s clearance, Dale Pearson hooked over from six yards. On the quarter hour, Kyle Downey slipped the ball sideways for Ben Sampson whose dipping effort from 30 yards was finger-tipped over by home stopper Neal Bussey and from the resultant corner on the left swung over by Paul Antony, the ball was cleared off the line by Nathan O’Neill. And it was O’Neill who pounced on the rebound to fire his side in front in the 29th minute. James Harmison failed to clear and when Grant brilliantly repelled a shot from close range from Charlton, O’Neill was on hand to stab home. After shrugging off a tackle, Callen had a great opportunity but with an option to play the ball to his left, lashed wide. Two minutes before the break, Charlton beat the offside trap and although driven wide, he nevertheless crossed where Elliott’s effort was smothered by Grant. Seconds later, Pearson made a darting run into the area but was foiled by a terrific tackle by Clayton Davis. RCA made a positive start to the second half and after Grant had blocked from Elliott, they doubled their lead in the 52nd minute. The ball was played into the area where Callen smacked a left footer from 16 yards into the roof of the net. Then after a ricochet from a block tackle, Callen was clean through but was denied by Grant. It was all one way traffic and following a corner, a goal bound shot from O’Neill struck one of his team mates and was cleared. In the 67th minute, RCA added a third. They raided down the left and when O’Neill laid it off, Elliott side footed into the corner. Three minutes later, substitute Lewis Strafford lost possession but Callen – with four defenders around him – was allowed to waltz inside before driving a stinging right footer wide of Grant for the fourth. Substitute Shaun Henderson and Buchanan both made goal line clearances and after Bussey had tipped over a half volley from Buchanan at the other end, it was Grant who denied Callen his hat-trick as well as the follow up from O’Neill as RCA went in search of a fifth. The home side were full value for their victory whilst a toothless Ashington side were inexplicably poor.


Ashington: Grant, Christensen, Hornsby, Antony (Johnston 53 minutes), J Harmison (Henderson 72 minutes), Buchanan, Sampson, Downey (Strafford 53 minutes), Pearson, B Harmison, McAndrew. Subs not used: Scott, Stephenson, Glasper (gk)


Back to Fixtures