Ashington AFC



Hall Road Rangers

Sat 21 Oct 2017 | FA Vase | Home


Woodhorn Lane




Matt Sowerby



By Brian Bennett

Steve Bowey’s managerial rein at Ashington started with defeat on Saturday as the Colliers went spiralling out of the Buildbase FA Vase against Hall Road Rangers at Woodhorn Lane.

The Hull based outfit took an early lead through Fraser Hansen before Michael Chilton equalised, netting his fourth goal in three games. However, ten minutes before the break, Hall Road regained the lead with a disputed second by Josh Batty which was to be the decisive strike.

Bowey had been named as the new boss only 36 hours beforehand taking over from Steve Harmison and his side almost gave him a dream start. Only 32 seconds into the clash, Chilton found Lee McAndrew down the right and when he crossed, the ball fell to Ben Sampson who stabbed wide from the edge of the area.

However the Wansbeck side were stunned in the eighth minute as the visitors took the lead against the run of play. Hansen advanced into the box and his left foot shot went through the hands of home ‘keeper Conor Grant and into the net.

Eight minutes later it was all square. Sampson’s pass found Shaun Bell on the right and when he crossed, Chilton clipped the ball home.

And it was Chilton who came so close to putting his side in front midway through the period. Dale Pearson broke down the left and when he played the ball over the top of a defender, it fell nicely on the half volley for Chilton who put his effort narrowly wide.

In a rare raid, Batty fired over – but three minutes later, the forward edged his side ahead slotting home the rebound from four yards after Grant had parried out a header. Ashington claimed a handling offence – but the goal stood.

The visitors came more into the game as the half drew to a close. An effort from Batty was repelled by Grant then the stopper had to be alert to push away a free-kick from Chris Spinks. And inside the first ten minutes of the second half, it was Grant who kept Ashington’s interest in the Vase alive.

Batty was through with a one-on-one opportunity but saw his shot well blocked by the ‘keeper. Ryan Bell made a great interception following a cross by Batty before Kyle Downey was just off target with a restart from 30 yards. In the closing stages, a goalbound effort from Pearson was blocked by Danny Norton and then after four minutes of stoppage time, Ashington – who had struggled to create chances or make an impression – were heading out of the exit door.

Ashington: Grant, R Bell (Johnston 65 minutes), Salmon, S Bell, Scott, Buchanan, Pearson, Sampson, Chilton, Downey, McAndrew (Hornsby 75 minutes).

Subs not used: Edwards, Strafford, Antony.


Back to Fixtures