Blyth AFC



Ashington AFC

Wed 8 Nov 2017 | Northumberland Senior Cup | Away


South Newsham




Darren Wylam



By Brian Bennett

Ashington’s hopes of lifting any silverware this season evaporated in the rain at South Newsham on Wednesday night when David Robinson’s strike for Blyth AFC proved enough to take the Ebac Northern League second division side deservedly through to the next round of the Techflow Marine Northumberland Senior Cup.

The game itself was certainly not a classic but Robinson’s fine finish on the hour, gave the crowd something to shout about. The home skipper latched onto a through pass from Gary Day, advanced then swept the ball wide of advancing ‘keeper Conor Grant.

It was a night where nothing went right for the Colliers. The performance from Steve Bowey’s side was sub standard then after Robinson’s goal, things took another turn for the worse when skipper Craig Scott was sent off following an off the ball incident close to the touchline.

Blyth started the much better and livelier outfit with Taylor and Day prominent. And as early as the fourth minute, it was the latter who sent Taylor through but with Grant coming out to meet him, the left sided player drove his effort narrowly wide. It was a great opportunity spurned and minutes later, a slice by Grant was seized on by Day who was thwarted by a defensive block.

Ashington’s first sniff at goal came in the 11th minute. Lee McAndrew blazed just over after Kyle Downey had squared the ball to him from a free kick before Damien Stevens – on his return to the Ashington side following his transfer from the host club – burst into the box but saw his weak shot held by ‘keeper Chris Bannon.

Ryan McGorrigan then took the ball down superbly on the right but his cross was cleared for a corner. On the half hour, with the Colliers growing into the contest, home full back Jake Armitage blocked a goalbound volley from Dale Pearson then Stevens ran onto a Downey pass but John Parker made a great tackle. With half time approaching, Liam Gillesphey unleashed a right foot screamer from 25 yards which went close and the final action of the period came when a Downey free kick led to a scramble in the home goalmouth before the ball was cleared.

Taylor headed wide a cross from Kyle Oliver before Robinson put the hosts ahead. Three minutes later, Downey took a restart 30 yards out which was destined for the top corner until Bannon tipped over in fine style then seconds later, Stevens crossed from the right where Wayne Buchanan missed a marvellous chance to equalise, heading wide.

After Scott saw red and Bowey made a triple substitution, Luke Salmon cut inside but dragged his shot wide then in the final minute, it was the full back who threatened again as he burst into the area but Blyth’s defence snuffed out the danger.

Ashington: Grant, Christensen, Salmon, S Henderson, Buchanan, Scott, McAndrew, Downey, Stephenson (Hornsby 74 minutes), Stevens (Johnston 74 minutes), Pearson (Harmison 74 minutes).

Subs not used: Bowey, Glasper (gk)


Back to Fixtures