Ashington AFC

Sat 26 Jan 2019 | Ebac Northern League Division One | Away


Glebe Sports Ground




Steven Lawson



By Brian Bennett

Old boys Matty Grieve, Damien Stevens, Andrew Bulford and Kyle Oliver combined to put the skids under Ashington at the Glebe ground on Saturday. Grieve and Stevens both scored for Whickham and Bulford claimed assists whilst Oliver - a fourth ex Collier - was in the starting line up.

The Lang Jacks gave their relegation fears a massive boost with this victory but on the balance of play, the final outcome may have been harsh on the Wansbeck outfit who were unfortunate to go in at half time trailing by a solitary goal. However after Whickham had notched a quick fire second followed by a third goal just past the hour mark, they could have gone nap long before they scored twice in the closing stages. With Jack Butler recalled by Blyth Spartans, Ashington’s interim manager Ian Skinner handed a start to Lewis Robson up front whilst new signing Callum Uddgren was named on the bench alongside 16 year old Harry Newton.

The visitors began well and in the sixth minute, a lovely one-two between Robson and Ben Sampson unlocked the Whickham back line but Chris Youldon’s effort was blocked. The Colliers then had penalty appeals for a handball shout turned down before the hosts took the lead in the 28th minute – with a goal from ex Ashington servant Matty Grieve. The centre half met a corner from the right by Max Cowburn to send a superb looping header over ‘keeper Conor Grant with the ball dropping inside the top corner of the net.

Twice in quick succession, following good link up play, Jake Turnbull and Shaun Henderson stung the palms of ‘keeper Dimitrios Tsapalos. But at the other end, Whickham came close to doubling their advantage when a header from Scott Martindale hit the bar and the follow up effort by Stevens was blocked. Ashington came again and two minutes from the break, another slick interchange released Robson who had a one on one opportunity but the makeshift striker saw his shot held by Tsapalos.

The second period was only 30 seconds old when Grant produced a fabulous save to deny Bulford but in the 49th minute, Whickham got their second. Glenn Caygill’s back pass was picked up just inside the area by Grant and when Bulford rolled the subsequent indirect free kick sideways, Cowburn curled a terrific effort just inside the upright.

In the 64th minute, the game was all over as a contest. The ball was crossed from the right and Stevens powered home a classic header which gave Grant no chance. Skinner threw on youngsters Harry Newton and Jake Cunningham and after good work by the former, Youldon’s shot was narrowly off target.

Bulford and substitute Daniel Lowther squandered chances, the latter foiled by Grant then a shot from Sampson was blocked by Martindale. Sub Lewis Orrell struck the woodwork after latching onto a cross from Cowburn but the Lang Jacks added another two goals in the final seven minutes. Orrell set up Bulford who was denied by Grant but the rebound fell to Orrell who slammed the ball home. Then in stoppage time, John Martin swept in Whickham’s fifth.

Ashington: Grant, Henderson, McAndrew, Ross, Caygill, Buchanan, Turnbull (Cunningham 63 minutes), Sampson, Robson (Newton 63 minutes), Youldon, Edwards (Antony 79 minutes)

Subs not used: Hutchinson, Uddgren.


Back to Fixtures