Bedlington Terriers



Ashington AFC

Wed 23 Oct 2019 | Northumberland Senior Cup | Away


Doctor Pit Welfare Park




Kirk Freeth



By Brian Bennett

Ashington crashed out of the Techflow Marine Northumberland Senior Cup on Wednesday night when a late goal by Kevin Westphal sent neighbours Bedlington through to the next round of the competition.

There was drama at both the start and end of the match with the Colliers taking an early lead through new signing Lee Scott then after Gavin Caines had struck an equaliser in the 89th minute to make it 2-2, Westphal had the final say, striking home the rebound after his initial effort had been blocked by ‘keeper Adam McHugh.

Ian Skinner’s side paid the penalty for frittering away chances in a first period where they held the upper hand but after the break it was a totally different story. The Terriers – from the Ebac Northern League second division - snarled at the heels of their higher status opponents, were resolute in defence, full of running and deserved the opportunity to face Blyth Spartans in the next round. However, although Westphal will grab the headlines after hitting the winner, the Dr Pit Park side were hugely indebted to a ‘man of the match’ performance from goalkeeper Callum Corkhill who particularly in the first half, made some crucial saves.

Ashington bossed the opening half hour and after Ben Gaffney and newcomer Kieran Brannen had flashed shots wide, took the lead in the tenth minute when Scott headed inside the upright from a cross by David Luke. Dylan Williamson had a shot repelled by Corkhill and then Brannen fired wide before the home side had their first sniff at goal when ex Ashington full back Jay Hornsby sent over a cracking ball from the left which went across the face of the visitors six yards box. Corkhill pushed an effort from Williamson to safety then Karl Ross found Newton whose drive was fielded by the stopper. Bedlington grew into the game and in the 33rd minute, a goalbound shot from Leighton Hopper was blocked by the Ashington rearguard.

Two minutes into the second period, the Terriers drew level when following a break down the left flank, Michael Colquhoun produced an exquisite finish across McHugh and inside the far corner of the net. Ashington almost regained the lead from the kick off when Scott headed wide from a Gaffney cross and as the action swiftly moved from end to end, McHugh held from Westphal then Corkhill denied Williamson.

In the 57th minute, Hopper unleashed a drive which was deflected for a corner but the Bedlington striker had an even better opportunity only two minutes later when he met a cross from the left but headed straight at McHugh. On the hour, the Terriers went in front when James Lee played the ball into the goalmouth from the right for Michael Bell to slide home. A speculative drive from Thomas Kalthoeber clipped the top of the crossbar then a header from Caines following a corner on the right was palmed away by Corkhill.

Three minutes from the end of normal time, Kalthoeber sent over a cross but substitute Lewis Robson headed over the bar. That appeared to be Ashington’s last chance but in the 89th minute they fashioned an equaliser when Coppen played the ball to Caines who whipped home a cracking low drive from 16 yards wide of Corkhill.

However within 60 seconds, Westphal made it 3-2 – and a euphoric Bedlington outfit saw out three minutes of time added on to claim a memorable victory.

On Saturday, Ashington are at home to Whickham (3pm).

Bedlington Terriers: Corkhill, Lee, Hornsby (Kalimba 79 minutes), Patterson, McGuinness, Dobson, Wardle, Westphal, Colquhoun, Bell (Berham 72 minutes), Hopper (Allason)

Subs not used: Douglas, Hart

Ashington: McHugh, Kalthoeber, Gaffney (Antony 78 minutes), Luke, Coppen, Caines, Williamson, Ross, Scott, Brannen (Robson 61 minutes), Newton (Biwer 61 minutes)

Sub not used: B Anderson.


Back to Fixtures