Ian Skinner - 08/01/2020

10 Jan 2020 in Post Match Interview

Ian Skinner - 08/01/2020 Ian Skinner - 08/01/2020


By Brian Bennett

Ashington FC manager Ian Skinner said his side will ‘dust themselves down and get ready to go again’ after the 5-1 defeat against Sunderland RCA on Wednesday night.

The Colliers – who had made three changes – were forced to complete the final 15 minutes of the game with ten men after Lewis Robson was carried off following a tackle by RCA’s Greg Swansbury which saw the home skipper red carded.

Skinner said afterwards: “My first thought is for the well being of Lewis (Robson) who had to come off after a very, very heavy challenge. Hopefully Lewis’s injury will not be as serious as first feared but he will get it checked out by a medical professional and we will see how things develop.”

Skinner admitted Ashington took the lead through Kieran Brannen against the run of play – but thought his outfit were given a lift by the goal: “RCA started the first half better than we did,” he said, “They played the ball forward early, got runners in behind us and we had to change our shape a little bit to try and counteract them because they were getting a little overload in midfield which was causing us one or two problems. Adam (McHugh) has made one or two good saves to keep us in it at 0-0 and I thought once we changed our shape, we sort of got a little foothold in the game. If I’m being honest we scored against the run of play with a very good and well taken goal from Kieran Brannen. I think everyone in the technical area through Kieran had taken one touch too many. His first touch around the defender created the goal, he slowed down then jinked back inside and he’s finished it well. Then I thought for the rest of the first half we seemed to grow in confidence and popped the ball around a little bit.”

He continued: “In the dressing room, we talked about what to expect in the second half. They (RCA) would come down the hill and almost go 4-2-4 and throw bodies forward and go back to front as quick as they could. They would compete for first and second balls; their midfield runners would run and we would have to stand up and be manful in defence – but I don’t think we managed to deal with it.”

He went on: “After the equaliser, Ashington did what we they do best – concede again within minutes. The leveller was a goalkeeping error but I’m not going to criticise Adam (McHugh) because he’s probably kept us in the game over the past few weeks to be fair. For the second goal we have got to stop the cross then as for the free kick – you tip your hat because Mark Davison has bent one in the top corner so fair play to him. For the fourth, we stopped - thinking the player was offside when he wasn’t - and he’s ran through and scored and for the last one, our centre back has collided with our goalkeeper and the ball has trickled along the line with Davison bundling it in.”

Skinner who revealed that the Ashington squad will be training on Thursday night concluded: “It was really disappointing but we will dust ourselves down and get ready to go again on Saturday at home to Bishop Auckland.”


Older Newer