Ian Skinner - 23/10/2019

25 Oct 2019 in Post Match Interview

Ian Skinner - 23/10/2019 Ian Skinner - 23/10/2019


By Brian Bennett

Furious Ashington FC manager Ian Skinner pulled no punches after his side had bowed out of the Techflow Marine Northumberland Senior Cup at the first hurdle following a 3-2 defeat against Bedlington Terriers at Dr Pit Park on Wednesday night.

Skinner stormed: “I’m very angry. We are leading 1-0 then give the ball away on the edge of Bedlington’s half, they break and its ended up in our net. For the second goal, we lost the ball on the edge of our own box and when are we going to learn? We threw Gav Caines up front in the closing stages because in training, he’s got that ability and it was a great strike by him to get us back to 2-2. That was on 89 minutes - and we can’t see the game out for three minutes of added on time? I’m furious and really disappointed. It comes down to missed chances again; losing possession in really poor areas and not wanting to work hard to prevent the opposition from scoring – and until we do that, we will not win another football match.”

Ashington had taken the lead through Lee Scott and Skinner added: “I thought it was a bitty opening five minutes which is always going to happen in a local derby match - and then we took control of the game. We dominated the ball for a period of 25-30 minutes and had already taken the lead with a well worked move, a good cross from David Luke and a great header by Lee Scott. We then fashioned a couple of other chances - the Bedlington ‘keeper (Callum Corkhill) has made a few saves but we nevertheless should have gone in at the interval more than one goal to the good.”

He continued: “At half time we talked about having to be better and going back to what we had done well, control possession and pass the ball. After we had created one or two chances, had gone in front and were playing well, we stopped and started giving the ball away cheaply and in wrong areas. Nobody wanted to work hard and get back behind the ball when we lost it and the last part of the first half resembled a basketball match. Two minutes into the second half we got caught in behind – and fair play to Michael Colquhoun because it was a great finish and he showed our strikers how to execute a one-on-one.”

He went on: “We chopped and changed formation just trying to get a spark. We changed shape and made a couple of substitutions and we started to dominate the ball. Again Callum Corkhill has made a couple of good saves; Thomas Kalthoeber has clipped the crossbar; Dylan Williamson has another one on one but hits the ‘keeper and Lewis Robson heads over although he was probably a bit rusty having not played regularly – and it was not to be.”

Skinner pointed to three debutants – Ethan Biwer, Lee Scott and Kieran Brannen – as being the only positives from a night to forget: “Ethan (Biwer) looked assured in front of the back four,” he said, “His positional play was good and he rarely gave the ball away whilst Lee Scott needs no introduction and scored with a typical header. Lee worked hard which he will always do but probably tired as the game went on because he hasn’t been playing on a regular basis. Kieran (Brannen) showed flashes of his ability – he’s technically very, very good but it was hard for him tonight. He met the lads for the first time before the game and then played which is always difficult.”

The Ashington boss will be forced to make changes for Saturday’s Ebac Northern League first division clash against Whickham at Woodhorn Lane (October 26). Skipper Curtis Coppen and midfielder David Luke are suspended whilst strikers Dan Taggart and Callum Johnston – who both missed the cup tie against Bedlington - are again ruled out.


Older Newer