Northallerton Town



Ashington AFC

Sat 5 Oct 2019 | Ebac Northern League Division One | Away


The Calvert Stadium




Neil Howlett



By Brian Bennett

Two goals of the highest quality from Callum Johnston inside a three minutes spell just after half time, were enough to lead Ashington to victory over Northallerton at the Calvert Stadium on Saturday.

At the same time, the win ensured that the Colliers registered their first points on the road in the Ebac Northern League this season. The last occasion the Wansbeck side met ‘Allerton in North Yorkshire was in the League Cup when following extra time, they exited the competition after bowing out on penalties. And during the interval on Saturday, visiting supporters were wondering if Ian Skinner’s side would pay a different sort of penalty after failing to score and consequently not cashing in after a dominant first half showing.

Ashington began at a high tempo and could have gone in front as early as the fourth minute when Damien Stevens played the ball through for Thomas Kalthoeber but the young full back saw his shot blocked by home ‘keeper Thomas Dawson. Ten minutes later, Stevens was again the supplier of a pass which saw Dan Taggart’s cross cleared off the line by David Hillerby.

The visitors continued to camp in the ‘Allerton half but in the 27th minute, a cross-cum-shot from the right by Connor Short looped over Ashington ‘keeper Adam McHugh and hit the bar. The Colliers probed again and after Dawson had pushed away from Taggart, skipper Curtis Coppen headed narrowly wide from a corner on the right. Stevens fired wide of the target then from the resultant goal kick, play switched immediately to the other end with Eliot McGlade stroking the ball wide of McHugh’s left hand post. In the closing stages of the period, Johnston lofted wide before Kalthoeber headed over from a free kick. The game changed dramatically in the first five minutes of the second half – as Johnston struck at the double.

Two minutes in and a slide rule pass from Karl Ross released Johnston who drove his shot across Dawson and in off the far post before the ball nestled in the net. It was a great start for the Colliers – and things got even better for them after Taggart and David Luke had combined in midfield.

Luke put Johnston clear again and on this occasion, the striker placed a precision right footed lob wide of the advancing Dawson and through the narrowest of gaps between the angle of post and crossbar.

Ashington were in complete control with Johnston’s pace causing Northallerton problems and in the 57th minute, he was through one on one but slid his effort wide.

On the hour, the home side brought on seasoned striker Nicky Martin – but at the same time, the visitors lost their composure and suddenly looked nervous. Only two minutes after his introduction, Martin had a one on one opportunity but saw his shot blocked by McHugh. However in the 71st minute, the forward reduced the arrears, tucking the ball home from close range following a right wing cross. Minutes later McHugh preserved the lead smothering the ball from Hillerby who was clean through but after that, the Colliers saw the game out.

Ashington: McHugh, Kalthoeber, Gaffney, Luke, Coppen, Gibson, Stevens (Herron 68 minutes), Ross (Anderson 90 + 1 minutes), Taggart, Johnston, Hanson (Robson 90 + 3 minutes)

Subs not used: O'Reilly, Williamson


Back to Fixtures