Ashington AFC



Billingham Town

Sat 30 Nov 2019 | Ebac Northern League Division One | Home


Woodhorn Lane




Michael Burrows



For the first ten minutes things were fairly even between the two sides, but by half time the game was over as a contest with Billingham Town going into the interval with a 3-0 lead.


Things started to go wrong for the Colliers when Stephen Gibson committed a foul about 25 yards out, Glen Butterworth stepped up to take it, forcing McHugh off his line to punch the ball clear, but only into the path of Craig Hutchinson who made no mistake in finding the back of the net to give the visitors the lead.


From the restart, Ashington were under a lot of pressure, and just seven minutes later, found themselves further behind after Luke Hogan skipped passed Dan Taggart down the left hand side, crossing the ball into Jamie Davis who positioned his header right into the bottom right hand corner giving McHugh no chance to get to it.


Billingham continued to dominate the possession until the interval despite some patches of quick passing from the home side. It was ten minutes before the half time whistle that Butterworth who had setup the first goal was on the scoresheet himself, receiving a long ball about 12 yards out from goal, he brought it down and placed it passed the Ashington ‘keeper.


On 25 minutes Ashington could have narrowed the gap when Dylan Williamson was one-one-one with the Billingham ‘keeper, but was unable to get the ball around him from a narrow angle.


Billingham still weren’t content with this, and in the third minute of stoppage time had a Butterworth freekick from just outside the box sail slightly wide of the post just before the referees whistle.


Ian Skinner changed things around a little at half time, bringing Callum Johnston on in place of Gavin Caines, but just 10 minutes into the half Glen Butterworth was at it again when firing home from close range.


The 72nd minute then saw Butterworth complete his hat-trick when chipping McHugh from about 25 yards after he was caught off his line.


Ashington’s best chances of the game came in the 10 minutes after this goal, firstly with substitute Callum Johnston was fouled by the Billingham ‘keeper, the resulting freekick forced a save from Lewis McDonald and then minutes later Dan Taggart out Callum through again with his shot being blocked in the box.


With five minutes of normal time left, Dan Taggart then found himself sent off by the referee and Ashington played the remainder of the game with 10 men.


Ashington have a free midweek before being back at home next Saturday to Seaham Red Star.


Ashington: McHugh, Kalthoeber, Gaffney, Luke, Gibson, Caines (Johnston 46), Biwer, Ross, Taggart, Hanson (Newton 65) and Williamson (Slater 58).


Subs not used: Scott and Antony


Back to Fixtures