Ashington AFC



West Allotment Celtic

Fri 28 Aug 2020 | Friendly | Home


Woodhorn Lane




Adam Nichol



By Brian Bennett

Jamie Hanson struck a late winner as Ashington came from behind to clinch a narrow 2-1 victory over a good and workmanlike West Allotment Celtic side at Woodhorn Lane on Friday night.

Hanson – introduced as a 67th minute substitute - had only been on the field for quarter of an hour when he finished off a superb move which involved two other replacements in Lee Scott and Brandon Slater. Scott glanced on a free-kick for Slater who ran at the Celtic defence before laying the ball into the path of Hanson and the youngster applied a crisp low right footed finish, squeezing the ball between goalkeeper Fin Hodgson and the post.

The first period had been a hugely entertaining affair played at a great tempo with the visitors – who in the last campaign were leading the Ebac Northern League’s second division but were denied promotion when the season was declared null and void due to the Coronavirus – playing their part.

There was an unusual start to proceedings as both sides fashioned chances inside the opening couple of minutes. Ashington had the first after a mere 25 seconds when skipper Curtis Coppen took a quick free kick to Jack Butler and the midfielder had a shot which stung the hands of ‘keeper Hodgson. Play switched and home stopper Adam McHugh was called into action saving from Callum Larmouth. Max Cowburn was not far away with a 25 yards free-kick before the visitors took the lead in the eighth minute – from the spot. Abubaker Salim made inroads into the area where he was upended by Thomas Kalthoeber and Salim netted with a well placed penalty although McHugh dived the right way. The goalscorer went close to doubling the lead after cutting inside and lashing just over then Ben Harmison’s neat touch put Butler through and when he found Dean Briggs the youngster’s drive was blocked by Hodgson’s legs. However, a scintillating run of pace by Butler was the undoubted feature as the Colliers got back on terms in the 17th minute. Max Emmerson won the ball before laying it off for Butler who glided past two defenders on a 50 yards burst and squared it across for Harmison who side footed home. Good approach work by Kalthoeber and Cowburn ended when the latter’s centre went across the face of the goal and in the closing minutes of the half, Butler was not far away with an effort from the left then Harmison headed over a cross from Cowburn.

Eight minutes after the restart, the home side somehow survived an amazing goalmouth scramble after Michael Baxter’s goalbound shot was blocked. McHugh kept another effort out followed by the ball being cleared off the line before a corner eventually ensued. The half saw a drop in tempo and it was on 65 minutes before Briggs had Ashington’s first chance as he lashed over following a Danny Anderson corner. After Lewis Robson had had a drive from 25 yards tipped around by Hodgson, Hanson’s precise finish looked to be the final twist. But with the last kick of the game, Salim lifted the ball over the bar – and the Colliers breathed a huge sigh of relief.

Ashington: McHugh, Kalthoeber (Sampson 60 minutes), Gaffney (Robson 60 minutes), Emmerson (Luke 60 minutes), Coppen (Tate 67 minutes), Bramley, Cowburn (Hanson 67 minutes), Anderson (Ross 67 minutes), Harmison (Scott 67 minutes), Briggs (Price 67 minutes), Butler (Slater 67 minutes).


Back to Fixtures