Stockton Town



Ashington AFC

Wed 9 Sep 2020 | Ebac Northern League Division One | Away


The Map Group UK Stadium




Derric Wade



By Brian Bennett

Ashington’s miserable run of results on Stockton’s all weather pitch continued on Wednesday night when the Teessiders completed a deserved sixth win out of seven matches - even though the 3-0 scoreline flattered them.

The Wansbeck side created chances and were on top for periods of the contest but they went behind right on the stroke of half time and for the second game in a row, conceded twice in the final five minutes. Colliers manager Ian Skinner made six changes from the side which lost the league opener against Newcastle Benfield on Saturday handing an immediate debut to Gateshead winger Dan Cranston, who had signed on a dual registration - and the newcomer was a busy performer, giving plenty of energy especially in the opening 45 minutes.

The visitors began well and in the fourth minute, Dean Briggs found Ben Harmison who turned and looked on as his left foot shot was deflected for a corner. A ball in from Thomas Kalthoeber was cleared away for another flag kick then Danny Anderson drove an effort wide of ‘keeper Lee Roberts’ right hand post. However despite Ashington’s early endeavours, it was Stockton who came within inches of taking the lead in the 12th minute. A 20 yarder from Shane Henry beat ‘keeper Adam McHugh and smashed against the underside of the bar and bounced down on the line before being cleared.

Jordan Robinson fired just over then the lively Kevin Hayes burst through and his left footer was saved by the feet of McHugh. Thomas Bramley cleared well after a cross by Jonathan Franks before Daniel McWilliams clipped over a great chance just past the half hour mark. Harmison, Anderson and Briggs combined which resulted in the latter’s effort pushed away by Roberts low to his left then Briggs had a shot from distance held by the home stopper. However the Anchors went in front in the 43rd minute when the ball was played through for Jamie Owens who coolly slotted across McHugh and into the net.

Ashington made a positive start to the second period and inside a five minutes spell, Harmison got past Roberts but when he pulled the ball back, it was booted clear by Robinson then a flick on by Harmison put Briggs through but the ball got under his feet and eventually he was blocked out.

On the hour, a quick free-kick by Curtis Coppen was played into Harmison who spun but his left foot shot from the edge of the area clipped the base of the post. After that chances were at a premium until Stockton finished the game strongly. In the final quarter hour, a thunderbolt by Max Craggs was fisted out by McHugh who also pushed away a header from skipper Adam Nicholson from a corner. In the 84th minute, Marc Lancaster fouled sub Michael Roberts in the area and Nathan Mulligan rifled home the resultant penalty. Five minutes later when McHugh could only palm out a shot from Franks, Mulligan added his second, stabbing in from close range. Then in time added on Hayes drove wide …… and had that found the net, it really would have been cruel on the Colliers.

Ashington: McHugh, Kalthoeber, Lancaster, Luke, Coppen, Bramley, Cowburn (Slater 57 minutes), Anderson (Emmerson 82 minutes), Harmison, Briggs (Ross 75 minutes), Cranston

Subs not used: Sampson, Scott


Back to Fixtures