Ashington AFC




Sat 24 Oct 2020 | Ebac Northern League Division One | Home


The dwmedia Stadium




Darren Williams



Brian Bennett

One of the most common expressions which managers use in a postmatch debrief is ‘fine margins’ – and it came to the fore at The dwmedia Stadium on Saturday when Consett brought Ashington’s unbeaten run of eight matches to a halt.

And it just had to be ex Collier Dale Pearson who put the skids under the Wansbeck side scoring the first and third goals with full back Darren Holden sandwiching one in between. In the final analysis it was a comfortable victory for the Steelmen - only the Woodhorn Lane outfit will look back on several defining moments, the majority of which happened during the first half on a heavy pitch which had been hampered by rain in the lead up to this contest. Consett knocked on the door in the seventh minute when Jermaine Metz and Jake Orrell worked an opening down the right and when the latter crossed, Pearson’s thumping header was fisted clear by home ‘keeper Adam McHugh. Sixty seconds later came the first of the fine margins when Dean Briggs and Jack Butler combined and when the ball was played to Lee Scott, the striker swivelled to unleash a shot out of the blue from 20 yards which beat ‘keeper Kyle Hayes but smacked against the post before rolling behind for a goal kick. Two minutes later, referee Darren Williams waved away strong shouts from the home side for a penalty when Briggs went to ground under challenge from Consett skipper Arjun Purewal then shortly afterwards, Matty Cornish fired over from distance. Consett continued to probe with Metz prominent down the right hand side and when the full back got in behind the Ashington defence again, his cross was smothered by McHugh. Similarly midway through the half, Metz played a low ball across the goal which was just missed by Pearson – but the forward opened the scoring a minute later when he got in-between the home centre backs and struck a left foot shot from 16 yards wide of McHugh. Sixty-five seconds later, it was 2-0 when a cross-cum-shot by Holden took a wicked deflection and dropped inside the post with McHugh stranded. Max Cowburn was not far away with a 20 yarder then when play switched, a good move by Consett from a free-kick ended with McHugh pushing around a header from Matty Slocombe. In the 36th minute, fine margin number two arrived when an overhead kick in midfield by Briggs released Butler one-on-one but his left foot shot across the advancing Hayes clipped the inside of the far post and bounced out. Then a flashpoint came in the final minute of the half when Ashington had Thomas Bramley sent off. Bramley’s intended forward pass could not have ricocheted more favourably for Pearson as it put the striker clear. Bramley’s pace saw him try to catch up with the Consett man before making a tackle 25 yards out. Pearson went to ground, referee Williams blew for a foul then promptly red carded Bramley for denying a clear and obviously goal scoring opportunity with the defender protesting his innocence claiming he got the ball. Matty Cornish’s restart was pushed out by McHugh who was quickly called into the action at the start of the second half. The sending off had seen manager Ian Skinner introduce Luke Salmon and new signing Liam Gillesphey for Ben Gaffney and Cowburn during the interval and within two minutes, Salmon lost possession to Carr whose effort was repelled by McHugh with Pearson hitting the rebound into the side netting. However a minute later, Consett effectively wrapped the game up with a terrific goal as Pearson added his second. The visitors carved Ashington open down the left through Cornish and Holden and when the latter crossed, the ball was dummied at the front post which allowed Pearson to sweep it home from eight yards. And the striker ought to have completed his hat-trick ten minutes later but headed wide. On the hour, Carr had a shot tipped around by McHugh then Butler seized on a back-pass and advanced but the recovering Purewal got across to intercept. Holden had a great opportunity to make it four but blasted well wide then a shot from substitute Paul Robinson from 25 yards was held at the second attempt by Hayes. In the closing stages, Ashington forced four successive corners which saw Hayes push the ball over from Salmon and then Curtis Coppen head over at the back post. The final chance arrived when McHugh foiled substitute Carl Lawson following a quick break.

Ashington: McHugh, Tate, Gaffney (Salmon 46 minutes), Emmerson, Coppen, Bramley, Cowburn (Gillesphey 46 minutes), Ross, Scott (Robinson 70 minutes), Briggs, Butler

Subs not used: Luke, Slater.


Back to Fixtures